Position Description: Community Organizer & Outreach Coordinator
Sportsmen’s Tennis & Enrichment Center is committed to improving life opportunities for youth in Boston’s Blue Hill Avenue Corridor, one of the most challenged communities in Boston, while welcoming a diverse community from the Greater Boston area. STEC’s mission is to build leaders on the court, in the classroom and in the greater community by providing academic, wellness and social development programs alongside recreational and competitive tennis instruction for youth and adults. Founded in 1961, STEC was the first tennis club in the US created by and for an inner-city African American community and maintains a focus on equity and access while welcoming individuals from all walks of life. STEC provides and leverages high quality tennis to engage with youth, improve their academic outcomes, and open doors of opportunity for college and beyond. To this day, STEC continues to be a leader and innovator in transforming our challenged and under-served community.
Sportsmen’s strategic goals are:
To learn more about the Center for Community Wellness, see www.bwhccw.org.
To learn more about Sportsmen’s, see www.sportsmenstennis.org.
Sportsmen’s Community Organizer (CO) will lead the development and execution of a comprehensive community outreach and engagement strategy that furthers all of the program goals stated above and improves our brand recognition. The Community Organizer will build and maintain long-term relationships with a wide range of community stakeholders, including but not limited to local residents, community-based organizations, elected officials, and businesses, and help link them to Sportsmen’s programming and resources. The CO will develop and implement a comprehensive social and print media strategy, create a database of local and national press contacts, and generate and pitch stories that promote our overall organization and successes.
The CO will be a full-time, year-round exempt employee of Sportsmen’s Tennis & Enrichment Center, and will work cooperatively with the program staff and leadership team.
- The primary functions and responsibilities of the CO role include:
- Develop and lead the creation of comprehensive community engagement and media outreach strategies to raise awareness about Sportsmen’s and our programs;
- Develop engagement and partnership pathways for community stakeholders that align with our mission and vision, and leverage existing community assets to expand the scope and reach of Sportsmen’s programs;
- Maintain an active registry of key cultural and social service organizations and their programs, and develop and maintain relationships with community stakeholders, including local residents, community-based organizations, tenant and neighborhood associations, block clubs, faith-based institutions, schools, cultural organizations, business improvement districts (BIDs), and small and large businesses ;
- Establish ongoing community feedback mechanisms to increase responsiveness to community stakeholder needs and to build trust, and lead the development of assessment tools and systems to track the impact of community engagement;
- Attend or convene community stakeholder meetings and family-focused engagement activities;
- Develop Sportsmen’s digital presence, and establish ongoing relationships with traditional media outlets;
- Generate and promote stories to social and traditional media outlets;
- Support the development of volunteer and partnership opportunities.
This position will report to the Chief Executive Officer, work closely with the program and development staff, and may oversee volunteers or interns.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred; – 5-7 years’ work experience in nonprofit and/or public sector; – Experience in community engagement and community organizing in under-resourced and minority communities;
- Experience with data assessment tools and systems to track the impact of community engagement activities and assessing data; – Understanding of and experience leveraging social and print media and digital tools that support and enhance community engagement; – Experience supervising and motivating staff and volunteers; – Familiarity with neighborhoods along the Blue Hill Corridor including Roxbury, Dorchester, and Mattapan.
- Hustle and drive to turn vision into action
- Excellent organizational skills with a high-level of attention to detail and ability to support and manage multiple stakeholders and projects
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills
- Strong public speaking and training skills
- Politically and culturally savvy
- Self-starter, able to work independently, team player and creative thinker
- Ability to work collaboratively, but know when/how to step in and lead
- Sense of humor and ability to work in fast-paced environment
- Willingness and ability to work weekends and weeknights, as needed
- Willingness and ability to travel locally
Sportsmen’s Tennis & Enrichment Center is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any individual, employee, or application for employment on the basis of race, color, marital status, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, handicap, or any other legally protected status under federal, state or local law. Sportsmen’s Tennis & Enrichment Center offers a competitive compensation package, including health and dental insurance, and a 401(k) program. Salary range: $38,000 – $45,000 annually, commensurate with experience.
Qualified candidates should send cover letter and resume to:
Chief Executive Officer
Sportsmen’s Tennis & Enrichment Center